Pearl Balls for the Chinese New Year
Chinese tradition suggests serving these yummy treats to the gods during the New Year.
Presumably, if their mouths are full, they can’t say bad things about the family they have just
visited. Happy Chinese New Year!
· 1 ½ pounds ground pork or beef
· 1 cup short grain Arborio rice
· Seasoning Mixture:
· 1 tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. cornstarch
· 1 tsp. dry sherry
· 1 ½ Tbs. wheat-free Tamari soy sauce
· ½ tsp. sugar
· 1 egg
· ¼ tsp. pepper
· 4 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed & chopped
· 1 tsp. water chestnuts, chopped
· 1 green onion, finely chopped
· ½ tsp. fresh ginger root, chopped sesame oil to coat steamer
1) Soak rice in water for 1 hour.
2) Place meat in a bowl and add onions, ginger root, mushrooms, and water chestnuts.
3) Combine seasoning ingredients and add to the meat mixture; mix well. Form meat into 1-
4) Drain rice. Sprinkle rice evenly over a baking sheet. Roll meatballs over the rice to coat.
5) Oil bamboo steamer* and place meatballs on it, making sure they do not touch each other.
Cover and steam until the rice is soft and meat is no longer pink (about 20-30 minutes).
*If you do not own a bamboo steamer: place 2 inches of water into the bottom of a large pan
with a tight fitting lid. Cut the top and bottom off a clean tuna can, and set into the water. Place
the Pearl Balls on a Pyrex or other heat resistant plate. Set plate (make sure plate is at least
one inch smaller than the pan) onto the tuna can. Cover and steam.